Writing from Joshua Tree Park (in our airbnb right outside of the park actually).
It's so very desert here, and we've had two days of hiking, exploring and chillin' with friends.
Kiddinggg... but seriously. Joshua Tree is a massive park, known for the unique Joshua Tree that liters the desert landscape.
"Two distinct desert ecosystems, the Mojave and the Colorado, come together in Joshua Tree National Park. A fascinating variety of plants and animals make their homes in a land sculpted by strong winds and occasional torrents of rain. Dark night skies, a rich cultural history, and surreal geologic features add to the wonder of this vast wilderness in southern California."
On the real the park is beautiful and there's a lot to explore in the landscape and in the tiny town outside.
Some things to know:
- This may blow your mind, but, shit gets HOT in the desert. Sunscreen on a trillion, and hydration are key.
- There are marked trails and places to hike, that are super easy and non strenuous. We made the hardest hike up ourselves basically and just went up some random hill (no joke, it's what happens when you're group is mostly dudes, they have to do stuff like off the beaten path). But it's easy as the rock is like velcro, and you're shoes will stick.
- There isn't much to do in the town, and it's not really that lively outside of the park and some small shops.
- I could be a diva, but there are truly more beautiful places to go, with more to do, so you probably only need a day or so at Joshua Tree. I was thinking about places in Utah, or even Montana that are much more beautiful and diverse. That being said, for L.A. people it's a must.
If you're going:
- Hike Lost Horse Mine, which is 4.4 miles and relatively easy
- Stargaze at night, because you can see an insane amount of stars you could never see in L.A. (due to fog and poor air quality)
- Eat at Crossroads Cafe, or The Natural Sisters Cafe
- Buy groceries at Joshua Tree Health Foods
- There's randomly some good shopping due to Coachella valley being 15 minutes away. You can find super cute stores here to wander in and explore. Everything is super desert boho clothing vibe, so you can really find clothes to look the part.
Also, peep my necklace from Forever 21. I think ten dollars is the right amount for jewelry since I lose everything that I own. They sold out of the one I have on, but the one in the link is just like it :). The rings are from this boutique in Colorado, and another in Santa Fe. - I'm really into silver as of late!
Now headed back to life and hopefully forgetting about the (vegan) ice cream barS I just polished off as a snack post hike! I won't say the number of them that I had, but it's a holiday right? #labordayactivities
Hoping you had a great holiday, would love to know what you did!? Everyone via instagram was getting after it and making the most of the holiday which is amazing.