Oh hello you! Sharing from Bali! A few more days left here, staying at the AYANA Resort and it's basically the nicest place I've ever been, I feel like I'm on another planet TBH.
How are you? How was the weekend? So crazy it's fall now right? Loving the season change!
I wanted to share today's post with ya!
More weird shit y’all. Weird shit that WORKS.
You may have heard of coconut oil for moisturizing your hair and body, for fat loss or even for cooking. It's got properties that make it good to add to your diet and beauty routine.
Oh and The Skinny Confidential cites it as the best lube - LOL. Yes, Lube.
Is talking about coconut oil dead?
MAYBE. But if you don't know about this - you should because it's so cheap, so easy and a natural way to improve your health.
It's the best way to whiten your teeth, improve gum and oral health and make your breath super fresh. It's how I keep my teeth super white, without using white strips (which hurt my teeth!)
So, what is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is an old trick to clean your mouth, remove the germs and clean yourself. Part of Ayurvedic medicine. Taking 20 minutes in the morning, you oil ‘pull’ the germs from your mouth with coconut oil each day before you eat or drink anything else.
For those unfamiliar with the Ayurvedic practice—which has been credited as a potential cure-all for everything from headaches and allergies to hormone imbalances and acne in recent months—it involves swishing a high quality food-grade oil in your mouth (sesame, olive, or coconut, for example) for twenty minutes, then spitting it out. The ancient cleansing method is meant to eliminate bacteria and microorganisms and, along the way, purportedly detoxifying the body’s lymph nodes, glands, and even skin by default.
So, Vogue is in on this. Let's get to it.
How to do it:
Make sure to do it in the morning, before you've eaten or drank anything, you can also do it before each meal to further increase your dental and oral health.
It's best described via some of the detail from wellness mama,
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth.
- Swish for 20 minutes. Apparently the timing is key, according to Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Oil Pulling Therapy, as this is long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. The oil will get thicker and milky as it mixed with saliva during this time and it should be creamy-white when spit out. It will also double in volume during this time due to saliva.
- Spit oil into the trash can. Especially if you have a septic system like I do… don’t spit into the sink! The oil may thicken and clog pipes. Do not swallow the oil as it is hopefully full of bacteria, toxins and pus that are now not in the mouth!
- Rinse well with warm water. Warm water seems to clean the mouth better. I swish a few times with warm water to get any remaining oil out of my mouth. Some sources recommend swishing with warm salt water.
- Brush your teeth well.
Helps reduce overall oral health: The lipids in oil reduce the adhesion of bacteria to the teeth and gums.
Relieves bad breath: Reduces plaque to support the health and gums.
Some sources claim that cavities have also been shown to be reduced by up to 50% in people who practice oil pulling.
Whitens teeth, naturally.
I wouldn’t have shared this if I didn’t think it worked. Honestly. But oil pulling WORKS. I don’t do it for the full 20 minutes (who has twenty minutes?) but about 5-8 minutes before I eat breakfast or do anything else and I notice an immediate glean of my teeth.
I don’t use white stripes anymore, and I love this as the way to keep my teeth white, naturally.
Many holistic practitioners cite other benefits of oil pulling. It is believed that oil pulling stimulates the lymphatic system and aids in the transport of toxins away from vital organs. The reported benefits of oil pulling include:
- Clear skin
- Beter digestion
- WEIGHT LOSS
- Promotes normal sleep patterns
- Helps kidney and liver function
What you need and where to get it:
I seriously love natural, easy, cheap ways to keep you pretty/healthy/fit. This one, is one of those!
Here I have Trader Joes photographed because I always pick it up from the store and it's super easy.
You can shop the best coconut oils below:
Another one of the best brands for coconut oil is The Skinny Co. Coconut Cil which is a SUPER high quality coconut oil.
It's unrefined, eco-friendly, and alkaline. I have been using their coconut oil for the past few weeks, either cooking, pulling or even eating at night so my metabolism stays up to burn through the evening!
They actually have a special oil for pulling that has essential oils in it too which makes it taste AMAZING. I love love this one. Get it here.
P.S...other great uses for coconut oil:
- Body lotion. It makes your hands, and skin SUPER smooth.
- Put coconut oil in smoothies for added health benefits and smoothness.
- Eye makeup remover. Its also an all natural moisturizer.
- For shaving. Makes your legs smooth and super affordable.
- In tea or coffee. Helps fill you up for the day with healthy fats.
- In cooking. It's a stable and healthy alternative to olive oil.
- LUBE, LOL. Via The Skinny Confidential
Actually going to go oil pull now after reading all these benefits. SUPER amped on white teeth and weight loss....(I know I'm the worst, LOL).
Have you guys tried oil pulling? Any other uses for coconut oil? Seriously it's like a MIRACLE! Super cheap, natural and you can use it for EVERYTHING!
Keep me posted - I love chatting with you in the comments.