When people hear that I'm vegan they always wonder if I'm getting enough protein/vitamins/iron/joy/sunlight etc.
I mean no one is worried about if I'm eating or not (LOL) but it's a totally relevant question since we've been told since we were little that most protein comes from meat or eggs. I could go on about this, but meat, dairy, cheese and eggs, isn't always the best place to get protein and nutrients.
Ever since I first heard about morninga, it's my go-to defense for the 'are you getting enough protein' bit. I'm not sure where I first heard of it, but it could have been via the Rich Roll book, The Plant Power Way, in which it's referenced a bit.
I swear morninga is super legit. Its a true superfood, and not just a food called superfood as a marketing tactic. Morninga comes in powder or leaf form, and it's a plant native to parts of Africa and Asia.
They say that "Moringa Oleifera is nature’s very own multi-vitamin, containing more than 46 anti-oxidants and 90 nutrients in one convenient capsule, Moringa Oleifera offers multiple benefits – and contains anti-inflammatory properties."
Some more craziness:
- Moringa is considered to have the highest protein ratio of any plant so far studied on earth. Which is crazy because everyone's all like "kale omg".
- Moringa is also one of the few foods that contain chlorophyll naturally. Studies have shown that it supports liver function and detoxification of the body.
- It's for real power packed with essential bio-available nutrients that improve the metabolic, digestive, and brain-activity functions.
- Along with all those nutrients and antioxidants I explained earlier, it also has crazy anti-inflammatory properties, with 36 anti-inflammatories.
It's also got mad benefits.
Morninga has been said to:
- Increase and sustain energy naturally
- Give a feeling of general wellness
- Nourish the body’s immune system
- Promote a healthy circulatory system
- Increase the natural defenses of the body
- Heighten mental clarity
- Provide nourishment to the eyes and the brain
- Promote metabolism with bio-available ingredients (yes please)
- Promote natural serum cholesterol
- Known to enhance weight loss
- Promote healthy digestion
- Act as an antioxidant
- Help balance your body’s pH level
- Contain natural anti-aging benefits
- Anti-inflammatory support
- Support the normal sugar levels of the body
I really think it's going to be the next big 'kale' and we'll have it in lots of drink and food recipes soon.
But how does one consume this green powder? Well, I buy the suja big bottle of power greens, and mix in a tablespoon in the morning. It doesn't have too much of a flavor so it looks much grosser than it actually is.
Sometimes when I can, I'll make a green smoothie with it:
- 1 cup of shredded kale
- 1 banana (makes it smooth)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 sliced green apple
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1 heaping spoonful of morninga
You can also eat the morninga plant. It's like a leaf and can be cooked but y'all know I ain't cookin' so I only buy the powder.
I don't drink coffee or anything like that, so this really helps with energy in the morning and I feel really good for the day after knowing I got my greens, and that I have basically covered my bases for my daily nutritional needs.
Also weirdly, I like that it has lutein for your eyes. I am weird I think about my eyes all the time because of how much phone/computer/phone and repeat time we do. It must be hard for our eyes! #pooreyes
Okay so if you don't know, now you know! MORNINGA is freakin' amazing.
Obvi do your research if you want to take it, or anything. Also has anyone ever heard of this? Anyone?
Happy Sunday! Off to Sunny Spot with visiting friends to continue to try to survive in this L.A. heat.