Oh hello you!
On this Monday, I wanted to write a little recipe post. (Key word, little).
I've been inspired by some of the things you can make with basic chocolate or vanilla vegan protein powders. Protein powder is SO filling, high in protein (duh), high in fiber, low in calories and low in sugar. It's like the perfect treat, and when mixed the right way, tastes SOO good.
A few benefits of vegan protein:
- It contains high levels of branched-chain amino acids to help boost the immune system.
- It increases the production of glutathione, which is a natural antioxidant in the body.
- It's absorbed rapidly in the intestines which results in a nice rise of amino acids and helps recovery after workouts faster.
- Dietary glutamine plays a key role by helping to maintain muscle mass!
- Vegan protein enhances glycogen, which promote healing, and increase growth hormone levels and help prevent muscle catabolism (which is when your body eats your muscles for energy - no bueno!)
- Vegan protein has no lactose, which is much easier on the stomach!
- Leucine, isoleucine and valine are essential amino acids that play important roles in muscle tissue repair.
- It keeps you full (super high in fiber!)
- It's sweet to taste which can help curb sugar/sweet cravings (MY LIFE).
As I mentioned in a few previous posts, throwing things in a blender is probably the extent of me cooking, LOL. #sad
I'm a huge fan of having a shake when I want something sweet. Like in the afternoon when I want sugar (basically after every meal I want sugar), and need a little something before dinner. It's also been said that you should eat protein 20-45 minutes after a workout, which provides an opportune time to drink a shake too.
For me, they're just really filling, nutritious, and keep me from overeating between meals.
I've been really loving these three shakes lately, with proteins from my friends at Sun Warrior and Vega Sport. Two awesome brands for vegan protein.
I think it's important to note, that even if you're not vegan, this type of protein is super easy to digest and much smoother (to me) than whey. Whey is basically a highly concentrated milk, and like most milks and lactose can give most adults a stomachache. (You can read more about that here). Vegan proteins here (which are based on hemp seeds, quinoa, pea protein, etc.) are an amazing option.
Enjoy three amazing, nutritious, cool, smooth, sweet and tasty vegan shakes my babes!
Also, do you have any recipes for shakes? Please share below! I'd love to mix it up :)
First: my favorite vegan proteins are:
Sun Warrior, which tastes SO GOOD. It's super smooth, flavorful, low in calories, high in protein and super low in sugar. It has a super high amino acid profile.
Sun Warrior Protein has:
Medium chain triglycerides from coconut then join this dynamic fusion to create a unique, plant-based protein with a complete amino acid profile exceptionally rich in Arginine, Lysine, Leucine, and branched chain amino acids.
Vega Sport has a variety of flavors, and is super popular. I'm a fan of the Vega Sport Performance Sport kind.
Vega Sport Performance Protein has:
- 30 grams of protein (!)
- 6 grams of BCAA's
- 6 grams of glutamine
Also make sure to get a NutriBullet, it's around $100 dollars and is so clutch. I use it almost everyday, it's easy to clean and blends and mixes everything to perfection.
Secret green chocolate smoothie:
- One large handful of kale, or spinach (or both!)
- One scoop of chocolate protein of your choice
- 2 organic dates (if you'd like)
- 8 fl oz of almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- Pinch of cinnamon
Throw it all in a blender (or we have a NutriBullet which we love) and enjoy!
Turmeric Carrot Protein Shake:
We know I am a huge fan of turmeric, and this is such good way to get it in! Plus, it's a recipe that you may have never heard of! It's smooth and the mango adds sweet to make it taste amazing.
- 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric (fresh or spiced)
- 1/2 cup of grated carrot
- 3/4 cup mango
- 1/2 cup of ice
- 1 cup of water
Once again, blend until smooth baby.
Little Buzz, Coffee Shake Smoothie:
For a little pep in your step and some more protein, this seriously tastes like desert! I love it in the AM after a workout for a little buzz.
- 8 fl oz of almond milk
- 4 fl oz of iced coffee (I love the kind from Whole Foods the cold brew, that you can buy for $8 dollars, or the blue bottle coffee is SO GOOD)
- 1 scoop of vanilla, chocolate or mocha protein powder (I prefer chocolate!)
- Pinch of cinnamon
Blend it all together and enjoy!
**Huge thanks to Sun Warrior and Vega Sport for sponsoring this post! Proud to work with brands i love.
Coffee shake photo via 1